A northern Michigan kayak & kayak builder story.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

And the work goes on



I have the hull and the deck reattached to allow for the hatch cut out. I am going to attempt the difficult flush mount hatch design. This, I suspect will not be an easy task.

In these pics you can see that I have applied what I hope to be the final coat of epoxy to the deck. As soon as this dries the hatches will be cut. This according to most is a hair-raising task, as an error here will cost the flush mount hatch for a none matching top mount gasket hatch.



Stay tuned as the suspense builds on the next episode of amateurs building boats.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, cutting the hatches is difficult. That is the one thing I wish I could do over in my kayak. I used a jig saw with the finest blade I had. It's just not easy to cut the edges smoothly. You can rasp and sand them smooth afterwards of course but if you need a lot of sanding it'll make a big gap between the hatch and deck. Good luck.

12:10 AM

 
Blogger Jaytoro7 said...

Do have any suggestions or advice on how to do it better. I have really been stressing about this. Thanks.

11:37 AM

 
Blogger Matthew Keller said...

I think you should borrow my jigsaw for this one, bro. It has a couple speed adjustments. And what do you think about using the Japanese handsaw for the long cuts?

Great pic by the way. :)

3:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only advice: make clear, THIN marks where you are going to cut, work under good lighting, and go SLOWLY (cut by hand or with a power tool, either way).

Andrew

7:55 PM

 
Blogger Richard said...

Is that your muse on the wall?

8:32 PM

 
Blogger Jaytoro7 said...

she keeps me company.

11:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home