A northern Michigan kayak & kayak builder story.

Friday, April 21, 2006

What a Mess!!




What a Mess! That bears repeating. This coaming design is so expensive and messy. A square yard of carbon fiber square yard off glass and a ton of epoxy. This thing had better be nice. I will tell you that I am not optimistic of this progress. I hope that OOK has not lead me astray.

Also, the carbon fiber is nearly impossible to find right now, so I am stuck on wht to do with the oter kayak. Maybe I will just use glass and S glass.

Oh, I forgot. I ran out of West System epoxy right before the end and had to mix some MAS to finish. I didn't mix resin and hardner, just used two types of mix. I am a little worried about mixing the two, hopefully they will still harden together. We will see. Working through the troubles.

Last, I hve to give a shout to US Composites, they have great glass, epoxy and carbon price. Google them, they are great. Stay Tuned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just went though all that a couple days ago! It's not easy to get good results if the mold isn't perfect. I put on about 7 layers of alternating glass and carbon, a couple fill coats and spent a long time sanding it down to fair it out, then applied another layer of carbon and glass. That has been my approach to just about any problem -- if it doesn't look right, sand it some more!

8:01 PM

 
Blogger Matthew Keller said...

Just as an option, check out the sea spirit site and see how he does his. Quick, simple, inexpensive, and looks great.

http://seaspiritkayaks.com/

7:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home