A northern Michigan kayak & kayak builder story.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Coaming Time!!


















Check it out more progress. This is exciting, I love building boats. Although you do have to persavere the hardships. For example, in order to bend the corners for this I had to find some 1/8" Luan, and this is not sold at the Depot or Menards. But after a wasted day of calling around I finally located some.

This may seem odd to some builders. The design is straight from the OOK website, it is a carbon composite coaming that is a bit tricky to build. According, to my buddy Matt another overkill in the construction of the kayak.

The installation is tricky, I probally snapped 6 peices trying to get th bends to be close. After they where stitched into place with a glue gun and spread with the middle pieces of wood, I applied a thick fillet of epoxy slurry. About thirty minutes later I applied the glass and wet it out with resin, that was a mess. I think in the morning I will apply another coat of resin and then begin the triming and composite coaming. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Keller said...

Thats the first time I have seen this, dude. Looks strange so far. I am excited to see the outcome.


Hey, when do we get a blog with the chopper in it!

3:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home