A northern Michigan kayak & kayak builder story.

Monday, April 24, 2006

The Verdict!

This turned out great. It is a great looking coaming, although it was a lot of work.

A couple of thoughts, I used less carobon than suggested as I ran out. So i believe I had three coats of fiber and four of glass. It uses a ton of epoxy, a ton of patience and a ton of prep time.

Be sure that the mold is set up correctly, I had to pry this out of the mold for about an hour. It may have been easier had I used more masking tape, as I think some of the epoxy found wood to set up to.

Also be sure to use a tool to draw the lines for the cutting, it is real easy to build.

All in all I am very happy with the outcome, but it was expensive. I used around a square yard of carbon, a ton epoxy, and a half of rolll of masking tape. So I would estimate the cost to build around $30 each. maybe more.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home